Read it Later rebrands as Pocket, free for all

April 17, 2012


facebook icon facebook icon

Read it Later, one of the most popular paid-for apps across all mobile platforms, has rebranded itself as Pocket – and what’s more is now completely free.

In four years, Pocket has grown to 4.5 million users that save web content for later viewing on all major mobile platforms. Every second five interesting articles, videos or web pages are saved on Pocket to explore at a more convenient time and, most importantly, can be accessed when offline.

Nate Weiner, founder of Read it Later, commented,

“Pocket is the perfect name for our latest version as it expresses how simple it is to take any content users discover with them, no matter where they go.”

The new Pocket update is mostly focussed on user experience. The interface is said to be cleaner making content easier to view and organise, and automatic filters categorise saved content by type.

Some 50% of the 200 million items saved using Pocket since 2007 have been viewed later on mobile devices, suggesting users are increasingly viewing content while in transit or in places where traditional desktops are not available.

60% of content saved on Pocket are written articles, while the remaining 40% is made up of videos, images, items to purchase, travel guides and recipes.

Pocket is available on Android, iOS and Amazon Kindle Fire, and on Chrome and Firefox as browser extensions.


facebook icon facebook icon

Albizu Garcia

Albizu Garcia is the Co-Founder and CEO of Gain -- a marketing technology company that automates the social media and content publishing workflow for agencies and social media managers, their clients and anyone working in teams.


Sociable's Podcast