Colombia-based media incubator Espacio announces the launch of Tech in DC, an online magazine covering innovation, policy, and economics.
The online publication owned by The Sociable‘s parent company is led by Patrick Quinn, a Maryland native who was formerly the managing editor of First Stage Investor and Energy and Resources Digest at The Agora, one of the largest private publishing institutions in the world.
We’re living in a critical moment, as it’s more evident than ever that technology not only has the power to vastly improve the quality of life for virtually every human on the planet.
Tech in DC is already syndicated via Google News and other platforms.
“Technology is advancing at a rate that’s likely never been seen before in all of human history,” said Quinn. “The social, political, and economic implications of this are probably greater than we are able to comprehend.
“The goal for Tech in DC is to cover the most compelling technological developments, especially those with the greatest potential to affect global politics, macroeconomics and finance, human society, and not least of all, our personal lives on a day-to-day basis.
“We also aim to hold legislators, innovators and corporate elites accountable for ushering in new technology in a way that is sensible, ethical, and equitable.”
Tech in DC’s areas of focus include artificial intelligence, alternative energy, the digitization of finance and banking, social media, data collection practices, and more.
“We’re living in a critical moment, as it’s more evident than ever that technology not only has the power to vastly improve the quality of life for virtually every human on the planet, but it also has the capacity to stir division and foster destruction around the world,” Quinn said.
“Therefore, it behooves those with power and influence to ensure that innovation is deployed conscientiously, and it’s the responsibility of Tech in DC to hold those people accountable to do so,” he added.
Espacio’s launch of Tech in DC is one of many that has enabled the media incubator to grow significantly over the last couple of years.
Over the past 10 months Espacio has launched and acquired several news publications including:
- Mi Dinero, a publication in Spanish dedicated to covering cryptocurrencies, blockchain technologies, and the fintech world.
- AppleManía, covering Apple news for Latin America.
- CeroLag, a Spanish-language publication dedicated to the gaming community and everything that has to do with video games.
- The Bitcoin Mag, a magazine website reporting and commenting on the world of cryptocurrencies, blockchain and fintech.
- Novobrief, the English-language voice for Spain’s startup ecosystem.
- Hibiscus & Nomada, a travel blog with stunning photos.
- Peru Reports, Peru’s leading news publication in the English language.
- The Bogotá Post online, one of the most widely-read English newspapers in Colombia.
- En Serie, an online publication focused on keeping up with the latest films, series, and everything related to the exciting world of visual entertainment.
- Portugal Startups, a media publication in English dedicated to startup and entrepreneurial news in Portugal.
- The Tech Panda, a Bangalore-based media publication dedicated to startup and tech news in India.
- ActitudFem, a Spanish-language publication created by women, for women.
- Argentina Reports, aims to be the leading news publication in Argentina in English.
- DobleClic, a Spanish-language news publication covering the world of tech.
Espacio is an incubator founded in 2013 by Conrad Egusa and Eddie Arrieta. Its mission is to add value to both the media and the public relations industries.